The Occasional Joke


Nurse: Patient's name?

Centurion: Marcus Licinius Crassus

Nurse: And his date of birth?

Centurion: 115 BC.

Nurse: All right. And what is he here for?

Centurion: Cataphract surgery.


Sunday, December 11, 2011

I have no idea ...

... why this comes to mind now, but it did and you're gonna hear it.

In government contracting, there is the concept of the Woman-Owned Small Business. To paraphrase the legalese, " ... the Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) Federal Contract program authorizes contracting officers to set aside certain federal contracts for eligible Women-owned small businesses (WOSBs) ..." A laudable provision, and nothing especially funny about it, except the last time I heard it mentioned in a business context, several years ago, the speaker referred to "small woman owned businesses." No comma or even a pause inserted.

I close my eyes and see female hobbits with Gucci briefcases hanging around DARPA headquarters. I will be writing my congresspersons shortly to propose similar set-asides for SBCOWGOBs -- short, bald, cranky old white guy owned businesses. Although now that I think about it, it's already in place, at least de facto if not de jure.

No comments:

Post a Comment