The Occasional Joke


Nurse: Patient's name?

Centurion: Marcus Licinius Crassus

Nurse: And his date of birth?

Centurion: 115 BC.

Nurse: All right. And what is he here for?

Centurion: Cataphract surgery.


Sunday, September 2, 2007

Big 9?

By the way, in case any of you missed it, the University of Michigan Wolverines lost their opener to fabled football powerhouse, Appalachian State University. The Mountaineers left the field singing their fight song, "An Appalachian State of Mind," specially written for them by alumnus, Billy-Bob Joel.

Some folks like to get away
Take a holiday from civilization
Hop a flight to Boone
Or to Bumpus Mills, TN
But I'm taking an old pickup truck
With six coonhounds in behind ...
I'm in an Appalachian state of mind

I've seen all the movie stars
In their fancy cars and their limousines
(well, not actually, 'cause they seldom come down here)
But I can imagine what they look like,
'cause I watch "American Idol,"
In an Appalachian state of mind

It was so easy living day by day
Out of touch with the rhythm and blues
No reason to change that, far as I can see
The Slippery Rock Times, The Dirt Farmer's Journal

It comes down to reality (or not)
And it's fine with me 'cause I've let it slide
Don't care if it's Front Royal or Chattanooga
Long as there's a Walmart to plug inta
I've left them all behind
I'm in an Appalachian state of mind

I'm just taking my old pickup truck up I-95
With a case of PBR in behind
'Cause I'm in an Appalachian state of mind


Meanwhile, the Michigan State University Spartans beat the Kyrgyzstan National Agrikultural Kollege Komrades 174 to 3, ushering in the era of MSU's new head coach, ex-President Jimmy Carter ... oh, hell, I give up. College football is so crushingly boring, not even a vastly embarassing loss to a school with an even funnier name than Slippery Rock or Shippensberg can help me spice it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment