The Occasional Joke


Nurse: Patient's name?

Centurion: Marcus Licinius Crassus

Nurse: And his date of birth?

Centurion: 115 BC.

Nurse: All right. And what is he here for?

Centurion: Cataphract surgery.


Friday, March 20, 2009

Recon report

Operating as I am five or more (in some cases, many more) years ahead of most of y'all (age wise, anyway), here's a brief note on something you can expect to encounter in a while: cataracts. All the steroids I took in 2007 and 2008 gave me a big honkin' blur in my left eye, and just last week, I had it dealt with. So far, I'm a satisfied customer. No longer wearing glasses for distance vision, for the first time since I was 12. Near range is another story, but the sheer convenience of wearing just any old pair of non-prescription sunglasses is worth the price of admission.

The procedure is mostly trivial -- expect to blow half a day, plus lining up the usual "responsible adult" to transport you. No pain, briefly sedated, lots of drops in the eye. What you get is the damaged lens removed and a nice new synthetic one implanted -- which of course won't develop cataracts of its own, so barring complications, once you do an eye, it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment