The Occasional Joke


Nurse: Patient's name?

Centurion: Marcus Licinius Crassus

Nurse: And his date of birth?

Centurion: 115 BC.

Nurse: All right. And what is he here for?

Centurion: Cataphract surgery.


Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

To the occasional frustration of my friends, I'm usually reluctant to spend the time on going out to a movie, particularly if it doesn't involve carefully re-staged pre-twentieth century battles. But Cave of Forgotten Dreams, from Werner Herzog, is one that would get me up and out of my desk chair and into a theater.

Herzog (Fitzcarraldo; Cobra Verde; Aguirre, the Wrath of God; and many others) got authorization to film in Chauvet Cave, in 3D, no less. Few people get to go into Chauvet for any reason, since its paintings are fragile and, incidentally, the oldest known so far. Herzog's film is the only chance most people will get to see this stuff, and as such it would be OK with me if they'd just mindlessly pointed the cameras at the walls and shot. Reviews, though, say it's actually art, as a film, about the art in the cave. In any case, making something watchable and (I hope) even beautiful while restricted to four hours a day for a couple of weeks, shooting from a two-foot-wide walkway, would be a real accomplishment. I hope the Michigan Theater has it on its list.

If anyone sees a listing for Cave of Forgotten Dreams, showing anywhere reasonably close to Ann Arbor, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment