The Occasional Joke


Nurse: Patient's name?

Centurion: Marcus Licinius Crassus

Nurse: And his date of birth?

Centurion: 115 BC.

Nurse: All right. And what is he here for?

Centurion: Cataphract surgery.


Thursday, December 16, 2010

And while we're talking about ...

... not worrying about the law, the Feds finally got around to dropping a RICO indictment on ex-Mayor of Detroit, Kwame Kilpatrick, his dad, and some friends.  They're calling the group, collectively, the Kilpatrick Enterprise. (Good name for a band, at least for a few months.)

For no good reason at all, I'm reading the actual indictment, which is a 91 page PDF.  I have far more time on my hands than most of you, so I won't be upset if I'm the only one who can talk about "Company L" and "Subcontractor DC" at cocktail parties.

Fittingly, 100% of the accusations (so far -- I'm only on page 24) have to do with sewer work.


Update: well, I finished it.  Kind of a sorry tale.  The actual amounts of money involved in the various hand offs or kick backs aren't all that large, but I assume they only include what the Feds believe they can prove, and consequently are a subset of the actual scammage.  Not a lot of humor, either; $300 stuffed into a gum package in order to "temporarily pacify" Bernard Kilpatrick; the repetition of the phrase "... for which no work was performed."  No thigh-slappers, just a picture of a corrupt little group, fiddling while Rome burned.

No comments:

Post a Comment