The Occasional Joke


Nurse: Patient's name?

Centurion: Marcus Licinius Crassus

Nurse: And his date of birth?

Centurion: 115 BC.

Nurse: All right. And what is he here for?

Centurion: Cataphract surgery.


Thursday, March 22, 2012

Once again, delay in publishing comments

Somewhere, hidden in the convoluted convolutions of a google account name and a blogger account, there's a setting that sends notifications of new comments to -- my old contentwerk.com account, which is now neither receiving nor bouncing. I will eventually find this setting and fix it, but for the moment, I'm not getting email nags when you post comments here. I have to actually view the blog myself to see that there are comments awaiting "moderation" (Ha! As if there's anything moderate about it.)

Anyway, apologies for the delays -- I would turn open commenting back on except that I truly don't want to hear what people who like Mitt Romney are thinking -- it keeps me up at night, weeping for my country -- and when I do hear it, I certainly don't want to provide even one more, tiny, squeaking forum among the din and rumble of political discourse for those folks to exploit. I'd make a good mid-East dictator, in fact, when it comes to squashing free speech.

And in partial recompense, here's a philosophical point to ponder, as you go through your day: my spam filter just popped up a window, informing me (as it does every twenty minutes, it seems like) that "Smart updates are available."

The question: what other kinds are there, and do you any of you have software that overtly offers "stupid updates?" (I have many things running that do, in fact, provide stupid updates, but they don't call them that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment